Are you upset because you think God has not given you what you deserve? Perhaps others (not as worthy as you) have what you want (1)? They have the good job, a great salary, a happy family, toys and material blessings. But, you’ve worked harder and longer and you deserve _______, right (2)?
Have you considered the debt of your sins (3)? Do you deserve forgiveness? If so, what makes you feel that way? What have you done to earn it (4)? Did Jesus get what He deserved in life (5)?
Fortunately, you and I don’t get what we deserve. If we have faith in Jesus as our Lord and Savior, we get something much better (6), forgiveness and the promise of eternal life are because of God’s mercy, not your works. Perhaps you should consider, “Do you really want what you deserve?”
Perhaps you feel you’ve done everything you should and so God owes you (7). Perhaps somewhere along the way
you forgot that this life is not about you. It’s about Jesus, His grace, His mercy, His love, and He can do whatever He wants with that which belongs to Him. So, again, do you really want what you deserve (8)?
Quit comparing your life to that of others. There is good and bad in both, I guarantee you! Never take the blessings you have for granted, there are others who wish they had what you have. Thank the Lord for what you have (9) instead of complaining about what you don’t have.
Everything comes from God. The failure to recognize this is where the virus of indifference invades our spirit. God’s generosity, is not based on what we deserve. We deceive ourselves when we believe that God’s grace is distributed according to what each and every one of us deserve. Have you ever noticed how happy and excited you are when the bad guys “get just what they deserved” (10)? We lack compassion when we see it as undeserved. We want people to get what they deserve for the evil they do (11). God is better. He sees His undeserving people and is merciful.
I don’t want what I deserve. I hope you feel the same. But, I do hope that together we desire to live a faithful life with Jesus, in response to His love, generosity and His even handedness in giving us, what we don’t deserve (12).
- Matthew 5:45 “He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.”
- Matthew 20:10 “So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive. But each one of them also received a denarius.”
- 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death.”
- Isaiah 64:6 “all our righteous acts are like filthy rags.”
- Romans 4:25 “He was delivered over to death for our sins”
- Acts 13:38 “Therefore, my friends, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you.”
- Luke 17:10 “So you also, when you have done all that you were commanded, say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done what was our duty.’”
- Psalm 103:10 “He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities.”
- Romans 11:36 “For from him and through him and to him are all things.”
- Luke 18:11 “I thank you that I am not like other men.”
- Jonah 4:1&4 “But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was angry…. And the Lord said, ‘Do you do well to be angry?’”
- Jeremiah 31:34 “For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”